The Designs/Artwork of Clue

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Jonathan Green
Private Eye

The Designs/Artwork of Clue

Post by Jonathan Green » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:16 pm

This a forum where I'll be discussing the artwork/designs of Clue. I also be talking about some international games as well.
Last edited by Jonathan Green on Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my Instagram account to see my art - :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

Jonathan Green
Private Eye

Re: The Designs/Artwork of Clue

Post by Jonathan Green » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:03 pm

Clue: Candlestick
Artist: Dash Shaw

Dash Shaw, the author of Clue: Candlestick, is also the artist for it.

Shaw's art is . . .interesting. His illustrations in the comics have a realistic and cartoony feel to it. His art is kinda trippy to me. I get a 60s/70s feel to it with the bright color scheme. Something like "Yellow Submarine" movie.

The design of the weapons are cool, especially the candlestick.

But I wish the mansion was more detailed.

Rating:

Characters: 8/10
Props: 7/10
Environment: 6/10

Overall: 7/10
Check out my Instagram account to see my art - :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

Jonathan Green
Private Eye

Post by Jonathan Green » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:54 pm

This is how I'm grading the art/design of the games...

10/10 - Masterpiece
9/10 - Excellent
8/10 - Great
7/10 - Good
6/10 - Fine
5/10 - Eh
4/10 - Mediocre
3/10 - Bad
2/10 - Very Bad
1/10 - Horrible
0/10 - Trash

Jonathan Green
Private Eye

Post by Jonathan Green » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:05 pm

Clue 1986
This is technically the final classic "Clue" game made by Parker Brothers before Hasbro bought them in 1991.

Characters:
The characters are mostly similar to their '72 counterparts. In the cards, their wearing their colors, yet on the box art they're wearing different outfits.
The designs for characters are . . .meh. Not good, not bad, just meh. At least they look better in the book series.

Weapons:
Again, meh. They would be later would for future games.

Rooms:
Oh. My. God. This is the worst board I've ever seen! There's nearly nothing in there. NOTHING! (The less we talk about the Lounge the better).

Characters: 5/10
Weapons: 6/10
Rooms: 3/10

OVERALL: 4/10

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:27 am

It's not just the furniture choices in the 1986 game that are bad, but also the questionable color schemes of some of the rooms. A single lime green chair in a barren dark cherry room? You're right, the less said of the lounge, the better. :)

Jonathan Green
Private Eye

Post by Jonathan Green » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:23 pm

IDW's Allor-Daniel: Clue
Artist: Nelson Daniel

In 2017, IDW Comics released "Clue", written by Paul Allor and illustrated by Nelson Daniel.
This series took a more modern approach to the classic mystery game we came to know and love.

Characters
The characters are bit mixed to me. At one hand, you have Mustard, Peacock, and Plum, who's designs are great! But on the other, you have Scarlet. Do I even have to explain what's wrong with her?

Weapons
They're alright, but we don't really get to see them much. May I say that this candlestick is the most accurate one to the real game.

Rooms
The mansion is just Biltmore Estate. No question about it.

Even the conservatory is the same!

The rooms are just bland to me. Barely any colors, just gray and tan.

Also, the Great Hall is from the Breakers Estate.

Fun Fact: My mom actually went to Biltmore Estate many years ago (She's turn 40 next week). They held it near the conservatory. That's why I know so much about it.

SCORE
--------------------------------------
Characters: 7/10
Rooms: 5/10

OVERALL: 7/10

Jonathan Green
Private Eye

Post by Jonathan Green » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:00 pm

Cluedo 2000/Cluedo: Murder at Tudor Hall
The last classic Cluedo game made with the "Waddingtons" brand attached, this version is now a 1920s style murder mystery (probably for the 50th anniversary). I wish Hasbro did this for the 50th anniversary instead reusing the American '96 art (Well, expect Reverend Green).

Characters
The characters are nicely done. The artist nearly perfectly captured the characters. My only nitpick is how young they made Mustard. In "Passport to Murder", Mustard's birthday is 29th June, 1890. If you do the math, Mustard is 36-years-old! (1926 -1890 = 36).

Weapons
The weapons are ok, but I wish they had more detail.

Rooms
Tudor Hall (later called Tudor Mansion) look nice. But the rooms lack some detail, still better looking than the 2002 version.

RESULTS
----------------
Characters: 8/10
Rooms: 7/10

Overall: 8/10
Last edited by Jonathan Green on Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jonathan Green
Private Eye

Post by Jonathan Green » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:03 pm

Also, Tudor Hall on the box cover is an actual mansion.

It's called Compton Wynyates in Warwickshire, England.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:04 am

I still keep thinking of this box artwork of which I cannot find a larger version of, that has a different illustration for the mansion, that looks to be more accurate to the board layout.

Jonathan Green
Private Eye

Post by Jonathan Green » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:27 am

CluedoKid wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:04 am
I still keep thinking of this box artwork of which I cannot find a larger version of, that has a different illustration for the mansion, that looks to be more accurate to the board layout.

The mansion you have makes so much sense than the final cut. Why Waddingtons/Hasbro changed it, I don't know.

Jonathan Green
Private Eye

Post by Jonathan Green » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:09 am

Super Cluedo 2001/2006 (Master Detective Remake)
In 2001, Hasbro/Parker released a remake of Master Detective in German (and other European countries). Five years later, it was released in the UK.
Instead of Mr. Boddy's english country manor (Boddy Manor), we get to see Dr. Black's (or the Count's) beach villa in the French Riviera.

Suspects
The suspects are mixed to me. The standards are great, so are De'Ath and Mystique. But I not really feeling Grey and Peach (Lady Sarah). Grey doesn't look like someone from the Police, he looks like a Nobleman. As for Peach, she looks like she's wearing a jumpsuit and does not look like a Southern Belle.

Weapons
The weapons are a little more detailed than their American counterpart. But the backgrounds could use a little more work.

Rooms
The board is beautiful, the rooms have a Mediterranean feel to them. But some of the rooms were better done in Master Detective (Ex. Salon/Lounge).
The Lounge in the UK version is as bare as the Clue '86 Lounge. They should have made it a Reception Hall. And the less we talk about the Hall the better.

RESULTS
------------------
Suspects: 7/10
Weapons: 7/10
Rooms: 7/10

OVERALL: 7/10

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:14 pm

Pointedly, a high ranking policeman as an Inspector may have been invited as a house guest. However, I think his appearance is a matter of translation. In Passport to Murder preceding, his title is that of an Earl/Count (IT), which leads me to wonder if he is undercover.