Marmalade Game Studio's Clue(do)

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Re: Marmalade Game Studio's Clue(do)

Post by alwaysPeacock » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:49 pm

Sir Shamrock wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:49 am
In one of Marmalade's pictures of Monopoly, there's not one but two references to Clue in it
I’m doing the beta test of the new Monopoly mobile game. They’ve got a LOT of recycled Clue & Life graphics populating the billboards around the city they’ve built in the middle of the board. It’s cute, but almost too much once you realize its there.
"But look what happened to the cook!"

Jonathan Green
Senior Detective

Post by Jonathan Green » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:10 pm

I wonder what’s gonna happen to the Ubisoft game? Telling for the posts on Marmalade’s Instagram, it look like the Ubisoft one (With the city around the board).
“Really Plum?!” - Mr. Green (Clue VCR, 1985)
IG:https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:10 am

Marmalade’s Monopoly will only be a mobile edition for iOS & Android devices. The license for mobile was previously held by EA Games & finally expired some time ago (I want to say it was over 2 years ago I realized I couldn’t run the Android version anymore, nor find it listed in either the App Store or Google Play Store).

Unfortunately for some Monopoly fans, this means no cross-platform multiplayer games with people who only own the current PC & console edition(s).

Unfortunately for the mobile only players: it means the excellent array of quick-play variants available in the PC & console editions are nowhere to be found in Marmalade’s version. They’ve got a “quick” game option that claims it can be finished in as little as 20 minutes, but I’ve yet to play a game shorter than half an hour (most have been closer to 40-45 minutes) — bit of a steep commitment for something someone is likely playing on their phone, especially since the (beta) app doesn’t let you switch apps & hop back in if you’re playing an online multiplayer game (as is the case with all of Marmalade’s Hasbro games, it seems).

I really hope once Monopoly is launched & established that they can find a way to upgrade Clue to offer a landscape option for iPads & tablets. It looks SO good in the Steam & Switch editions, and it’s frankly a bit annoying that Clue is the *one* app that forces me to pick up & rotate my iPad in order to use it (a very first-world problem, I know). Plenty of other mobile board games (and other apps) display differently depending on which type of device they’ve been installed on — it wouldn’t be a new concept.
"But look what happened to the cook!"

Sir Shamrock
Private Eye

Post by Sir Shamrock » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:58 pm

Now since it appears that it will be a while for the next theme, perhaps we could be getting expanded character roisters. Here are the missing people for the different themes. What do you think their occupations/motives would be?

Tudor Mansion/International
Rusty, Mrs. Meadow-Brook
Classic Mansion
Dr. Orchid, M. Brunette, Miss Peach, Mme. Rose, Lord Gray, Price Azure, Rusty, Mrs. Meadow-Brook
Hollywood Studios
Mrs. White, M. Brunette, Miss Peach, Mme. Rose, Lord Gray, Price Azure, Rusty, Mrs. Meadow-Brook
Vampire Castle
Dr. Orchid, M. Brunette, Miss Peach, Mme. Rose, Lord Gray, Price Azure, Rusty, Mrs. Meadow-Brook
Snowy Peaks
Mrs. Peacock, Dr. Orchid, M. Brunette, Mme. Rose, Lord Gray, Price Azure, Rusty, Mrs. Meadow-Brook
Murder Express
Mme. Rose, Lord Gray, Price Azure, Rusty, Mrs. Meadow-Brook
Wild West
Mrs. White, Dr. Orchid, M. Brunette, Miss Peach, Lord Gray, Price Azure, Rusty, Mrs. Meadow-Brook
Venetian Masquerade
Professor Plum, M. Brunette, Miss Peach, Mme. Rose, Lord Gray, Price Azure, Rusty, Mrs. Meadow-Brook
Sherlock
Colonel Mustard, Mr. Green, Mrs. White, Dr. Orchid, M. Brunette, Mme. Rose, Lord Gray, Price Azure, Mrs. Meadow-Brook
Egyptian Adventure
Mrs. White, Dr. Orchid, M. Brunette, Miss Peach, Mme. Rose, Lord Gray, Price Azure, Rusty
Tropical Island

For the Tudor/Classic Mansion characters it would probably just be a repaint of the original characters

PrinceAlarming
Slueth

Post by PrinceAlarming » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:44 am

Sir Shamrock wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:58 pm
Now since it appears that it will be a while for the next theme, perhaps we could be getting expanded character roisters. Here are the missing people for the different themes. What do you think their occupations/motives would be?

Rusty, Mrs. Meadow-Brook
Classic Mansion
Hollywood Studios
Mrs. White, M. Brunette, Miss Peach, Mme. Rose, Lord Gray, Price Azure, Rusty, Mrs. Meadow-Brook
Vampire Castle
Snowy Peaks
Mrs. Peacock, Dr. Orchid, M. Brunette, Mme. Rose, Lord Gray, Price Azure, Rusty, Mrs. Meadow-Brook
Murder Express
Wild West
Mrs. White, Dr. Orchid, M. Brunette, Miss Peach, Lord Gray, Price Azure, Rusty, Mrs. Meadow-Brook
Venetian Masquerade
Professor Plum, M. Brunette, Miss Peach, Mme. Rose, Lord Gray, Price Azure, Rusty, Mrs. Meadow-Brook
Sherlock
Colonel Mustard, Mr. Green, Mrs. White, Dr. Orchid, M. Brunette, Mme. Rose, Lord Gray, Price Azure, Mrs. Meadow-Brook
Egyptian Adventure
Mrs. White, Dr. Orchid, M. Brunette, Miss Peach, Mme. Rose, Lord Gray, Price Azure, Rusty
Tropical Island

For the Tudor/Classic Mansion characters it would probably just be a repaint of the original characters
Wow, so Miss Scarlet is in every single one.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:44 pm

PrinceAlarming wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:44 am
Sir Shamrock wrote:

Rusty, Mrs. Meadow-Brook
Classic Mansion
Hollywood Studios
Vampire Castle
Snowy Peaks
Murder Express
Wild West
Venetian Masquerade
Sherlock
Egyptian Adventure
Tropical Island

Yes. Scarlett is the literal face of the App after all. I need to update the grid, to reflect the latest editions.

I’m not sure I really count the Sherlock Holmes edition since Mustard would have typically been Holmes or Watson. But Mustard has also been in every other edition as well. He’s also a highly visible character for Clue. Other than Mrs. Peacock, they are the most iconic of all of the character names. I’m a bit surprised the Rev./Mr. Green has been in every theme except Sherlock Holmes as well.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:22 am

Reason for board layout:

Note the reassignment of rooms (hall vs. dining room) to match room layout map alignment. Even the stairs are present between the billiard room an library on he digital board. The stairs were later removed from the 2011 physical board layout, in the 2013 double-sided edition.

Original Cluedo board on first release game Lounge coffee table. Note 2011 board design, with the digital game board layout superimposed on top of it. I’ve flipped the board around 180 from the orientation on the digital game layout to put the board right side up; so the overlay actually matches the digital game layout when playing the game, even though it’s not properly aligned with the rooms. What’s clear is someone told the Marmalade people that the game board needed to match the digital layout, perhaps to avoid confusion, and not match any particular editions layout, so Marmalade hacked a rough outline of the digital board on top of the game board artwork. Clearly the Marmalade game was released just after the new Orchid édition was released which went back to the traditional layout design — so Hasbro likely did not want a depiction of the previous edition no longer for sale.

The current digital edition uses a board layout that matches the digital game exactly. Very odd that they’ve gone from representing an actual physical game, to representing a physical version of the virtual digital game (which also seems to have 3D trees!). But it solves the disparity between the original game board layout that inspired the digital design layout, without having to maintain visual parity with Hasbro’s current editions, whatever their layout may be.

Last edited by Murder by Death on Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Elrond
Slueth

Post by Elrond » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:26 pm

Murder by Death wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:44 pm
PrinceAlarming wrote:
Sir Shamrock wrote:

Rusty, Mrs. Meadow-Brook
Classic Mansion
Hollywood Studios
Vampire Castle
Snowy Peaks
Murder Express
Wild West
Venetian Masquerade
Sherlock
Egyptian Adventure
Tropical Island

Yes. Scarlett is the literal face of the App after all. I need to update the grid, to reflect the latest editions.

I’m not sure I really count the Sherlock Holmes edition since Mustard would have typically been Holmes or Watson. But Mustard has also been in every other edition as well. He’s also a highly visible character for Clue. Other than Mrs. Peacock, they are the most iconic of all of the character names. I’m a bit surprised the Rev./Mr. Green has been in every theme except Sherlock Holmes as well.
Wait, so Lady Lavendar is the only ClueFX character not present in any version?!

Jonathan Green
Senior Detective

Post by Jonathan Green » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:33 pm

Elrond wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:26 pm
Murder by Death wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:44 pm
PrinceAlarming wrote:

Wait, so Lady Lavendar is the only ClueFX character not present in any version?!
Yes, because of Orchid I think. Both have a similar trades, both being Asian and having professions in plants. It's a real shame.

coinilius
Junior Detective

Post by coinilius » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:14 am

Thanks for posting those board comparisons, Murder by Death - there's something about the 2011 board and layout design that I've just never cared for - the way the rooms are arranged look kind of cluttered, while also just being a kind of boring layout.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sat May 09, 2020 2:02 pm

A new theme skin would really be welcome during this pandemic quarantine.

ClueLover98
Slueth

Post by ClueLover98 » Tue May 12, 2020 7:52 pm

For the past few months, Marmalade has featured a certain theme (Snowy Peaks last winter, Hollywood Studio during awards season, and Venetian Masquerade for the spring) for free. Is the theme free forever if you download it, or is it just for the limited time period?

Also, I'm thinking of buying this game come June. I have two questions:
  1. What themes are the best? It could be your favorite or the one that's objectively the best.
  2. Is the game better on a phone, tablet, or Steam?
Thank you guys!

Jonathan Green
Senior Detective

Post by Jonathan Green » Tue May 12, 2020 7:53 pm

ClueLover98 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 7:52 pm
For the past few months, Marmalade has featured a certain theme (Snowy Peaks last winter, Hollywood Studio during awards season, and Venetian Masquerade for the spring) for free. Is the theme free forever if you download it, or is it just for the limited time period?

1. What themes are the best? It could be your favorite or the one that's objectively the best.
Thank you guys!
The theme that are free are for a limited time only.
The best version of the game would be the Steam/Switch port. The phone/table are the same.

ClueLover98
Slueth

Post by ClueLover98 » Tue May 12, 2020 8:00 pm

Jonathan Green wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 7:53 pm
ClueLover98 wrote:

Thank you guys!
The best version of the game would be the Steam/Switch port. The phone/table are the same.
Thank you! Is there a reason why the Steam version is $8 more expensive? Are there new features or is it just because it's on a different platform? Thanks again!

(P.S. What theme do you recommend buying?)

Jonathan Green
Senior Detective

Post by Jonathan Green » Tue May 12, 2020 8:02 pm

ClueLover98 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:00 pm
Jonathan Green wrote:
ClueLover98 wrote:

Thank you guys!
Thank you! Is there a reason why the Steam version is $8 more expensive? Are there new features or is it just because it's on a different platform? Thanks again!

Maybe because it’s on a different platform.

As for theme: Get Classic Mansion and Hollywood. Also get the International Characters as well.

Jonathan Green
Senior Detective

Post by Jonathan Green » Tue May 12, 2020 8:19 pm

Jonathan Green wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:02 pm
ClueLover98 wrote:
Jonathan Green wrote:

As for theme: Get Classic Mansion and Hollywood. Also get the International Characters as well.
Here’s a playlist of all themes (except Tropical):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... yJQIndryAI

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Thu May 28, 2020 3:22 pm

Jonathan Green wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:02 pm
ClueLover98 wrote:
Jonathan Green wrote:

If you can afford it, keep an eye out for the unlimited bundle that gives you all of themes and any new ones. They run Discount deals all the time. Piecemeal will becomes expensive if you can’t control yourself!

The Stream/Switch has full landscape artwork. It’s a much more immersive experience. The features are otherwise the same. Though I think it supports local multi-player gaming.

I would have it now except the port is not compatible with the Macintosh. They really need to put out a Mac port!!

coinilius
Junior Detective

Post by coinilius » Thu May 28, 2020 5:53 pm

I didn’t know the steam/switch Version had more detailed and immersive environments, I might have to check that out (I just put a lot of gift card money on my switch account)

ClueLover98
Slueth

Post by ClueLover98 » Thu May 28, 2020 9:46 pm

coinilius wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 5:53 pm
I didn’t know the steam/switch Version had more detailed and immersive environments, I might have to check that out (I just put a lot of gift card money on my switch account)
It's 50% off on Steam until June 1!

Also, if you have the app, what theme would you suggest buying?

Jonathan Green
Senior Detective

Post by Jonathan Green » Thu May 28, 2020 9:53 pm

ClueLover98 wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 9:46 pm
coinilius wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 5:53 pm
It's 50% off on Steam until June 1!

Also, if you have the app, what theme would you suggest buying?
Classic, Hollywood, and International.