Info on white solution envelope?

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

auroravampire
Suspect

Info on white solution envelope?

Post by auroravampire » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:09 pm

Hello, everyone. Wonderful site here.

I had a question about my edition of the game, and I can't find this mentioned anywhere on the site or on the web. My apologies if I've overlooked something and am asking an old question.

A few years ago I picked up the 1997 version of Clue. While it was (and is still) my favorite edition in terms of artwork, I had a problem due to the solution envelope included with my copy.
Keep in mind, I bought this copy in a store, not a used copy that someone may have been doing this to make up for a lost bit or such.

Instead of the standard yellow/brown parchment-like Confidential Case File envelope, I received an oversized white plain-paper envelope with the usual text printed on it in black. Also, the end flap is gummed so that it stays glued shut.
Sure, it is functional insomuch that it hold the cards, but it also covers the Cellar area and a few surrounding spaces around it. In other words, it isn't technically correct (wrong paper, color, and size) and must be kept off the board while playing too. Not to mention the annoyance of the envelope having stringy glue.

I've not seen anyone else's copy, but I know this is different from what is pictured on the back of the box and what component lists on websites like this one show were supposed to be included with this set.

Can anyone post some information about this? Is this simply a misprint or do I have something more interesting here?

Kristev
Crime Writer

Post by Kristev » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:13 pm

It didn't happen with my edition. Very, very bizarre.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:34 pm

A friend of mine got one of those with his Alfred Hitchcock edition. Maybe it's a filler for when they run out of the regular ones. I'd call Hasbro and see if they can tell you anything about it.
"But look what happened to the cook!"

Colonel Gray Poopond
Forensics Expert

Post by Colonel Gray Poopond » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:26 pm

I have never heard of such a thing. :?
All you need is love!

PrinceAzure33
Diplomatically Immune

Post by PrinceAzure33 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:21 pm

Seems like Hasbro isn't very reliable anymore...
Oh, it's England. Croquet on the lawn, tea in silver teapots, sherry before dinner. One simply has to maintain one's standards!

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:34 am

I bet that if you wrote them a letter (real, not email) that they would send you a new one in their reply. At least I'm sure that's what Parker Brothers would have done. Dunno, really, about Hasbro. They aren't too customer service oriented. But it's worth a try.
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

auroravampire
Suspect

Post by auroravampire » Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:01 pm

Thanks for the info, everyone. I'm sure they'd have replaced the envelope if I'd written to them. It just didn't occur to me at the time (like I said it was a few years ago), and it is now an out-of-print edition.
If it came down to it, the Hasbro site sells replacements for any game piece as long as they are in print or recent. I'd probably end up with the current version of the bit, but it would work.
I'm planning on picking up the current edition for my game nights anyway (like someone here said, "it has different art!"), so it isn't a big deal to me really - I was just curious.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:46 pm

Definatley get the current edition. Not only can you show it off at game night, but it's just so much fun to open a new Clue game and touch all the little pieces for the first time.

Am I right?
"But look what happened to the cook!"

Colonel Gray Poopond
Forensics Expert

Post by Colonel Gray Poopond » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:02 pm

YES
All you need is love!

cluegirl104
"I NEED to watch the movie again!!"

Post by cluegirl104 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:57 pm

yes it is!
i just got spanish cluedo in the mail and what a blast!
my family was so annoyed because my first words when i walked in the door was " my clue game came!" i forgot to say hi!
Oh Gravity, thou art a heartless b!tch

PrinceAzure33
Diplomatically Immune

Post by PrinceAzure33 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:43 pm

:lol: That rhymes
Oh, it's England. Croquet on the lawn, tea in silver teapots, sherry before dinner. One simply has to maintain one's standards!

cluegirl104
"I NEED to watch the movie again!!"

Post by cluegirl104 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:54 pm

yeah,..it does! :D
Oh Gravity, thou art a heartless b!tch